Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals and Sample Sunday!

Hey Lovelies!
Happy New Year! For me New Year's Eve and day haven't really been a biggie for me, that could be because half of the ones when I was growing up was me in bed sick. Not fun. So I haven't really been one to go search out parties so what did I do last night you might ask. Well I barely made it to midnight for starters because I'm cool like that. Second of all I wrote over 5,000 words for Beneath the Scars! I'm so proud of that! May people are working on their resolutions, me, I don't usually set resoluations, but rather more goals. Same thing probably, but it's all in the wording the goals are more certain things than 'I will lose weight!' One my friends would kill me if I lose weight, but rather I'm always looking to be a little healthier overall, usually doesn't last too long... So other goals are to finally get End of the Line out again, finish Beneath the Scars before I go away on the 7th, and just overall keep on writing.

Now I haven't done a Sample Sunday in awhile so I should post one! Here is chapter 3 of Beneath the Scars! I keep talking about it I figured I'd show you what will probably be published next (I know i keep telling you with other stories will be, but this time I mean it!).
Beneath the Scars

Chapter Three
Rily

Turning the music high as I drove off towards my sister’s home I could still feel my muscles being tensed. I preferred to run my errands late at night, less people. Less odds of being seen or stared at like the newest act to the Freak Show. Even when I was in the hospital after the accident with other burn victims I didn’t feel right there. I was alone in the car yet I still kept my hood raised on my head and the sleeves pulled down to cover my hands.
Turning off the engine after I pulled into the driveway I sat there listening to the music be cut off, as the engine slowed down till it stopped completely. I had to get out of the car and into the home. Sighing I tugged on the hood even though it was already up and covering. Slamming the door I walked to the front door ringing the doorbell as I waited on the front porch. Even though I was at family’s house I couldn’t bring myself to just walk in. My once stand up right posture was now slightly hunched over with my head covered. Through the door I could hear the dog barking and shuffling of feet before my sister, Charlotte opened the door with a wide smile. She stood aside as she let me in.
“I was starting to wonder when you’d show up,” my sister spoke her voice was so cheery.
“Well I was waiting for it to get dark,” I answered as their collie ran over to me standing on it’s hind legs to put the front ones on my upper body.
My sister pulled the dog off me.
“Dumb dog, you are going to wake up the kids,” Charlotte pulled on the dog’s collar off me as she started in the direction of the kitchen. “Rily, I love you and the kids miss you. You are going to have to eventually come out in the daylight, can’t live like that forever.”
I huffed, rolling my eyes at my sister’s back.
“Don’t you dare roll your eyes at me!” Charlotte snapped turning into the kitchen moving cups and the kettle around.
“Don’t use your mom ninja skills on me,” I sighed not in the mood to deal with my sister mothering me, again.
“I’m your older sister and a mother of two, it’s a habit,” Charlotte turned to face me, head titled slightly as her long, loosely curled hair framed her pale face. “I worry about you.”
Her eyes softened, their shade similar to my own. Heavy steps came down the steps and in a couple of seconds her husband walked into the room. He nodded in my direction as he looked over at his wife, she smiled at him.
“I’m finishing up the last bits of my paperwork, but the little monkeys don’t want to go to bed,” he stated, his eyes locked on my sister’s, as a crash upstairs occurred on cue.
“I read to you guys your bedtime story go to bed,” my sister yelled as she put water into the kettle.
“But Mom,” a small voice whined, I smirked ready for what my sister was about to bestow.
“But nothing, you two bed-“
Before my sister could finish I interrupted unable to control myself, “Get back into bed before the monsters tries to bite your ankles!”
Yelps and screams poured from the upstairs as thunderous steps came down the stairs. Charlotte glared at me as she threw the empty box of tea at me, I chuckled. The two nearly slid into the kitchen with the younger one almost falling from the footie pajamas against the tile.
“Uncle Rily,” my niece Madison glowed as she noticed me changing her direction to me with open arms.
Madison had only recently been this friendly with me, right when I came home she was in tears refusing to come near me or even lay eyes on me. Charlotte talked to her about what I did overseas and why I was burnt all over, Madison slowly came around calling me a hero despite the fact that I didn’t feel like one. She was seven, but my nephew Elliot was four, and was still afraid of me, I couldn’t blame him I looked like a monster. Madison jumped into my lap giving me a hug while Elliot tip toed over to my sister nearly hiding his face in his teddy bear.
“Uncle Rily can you read us a bedtime story and check to make sure that monster isn’t there?” Madison begged, her eyes grew wide, bottom lip puckered out.
“Maybe,” I responded ruffling the top of her head, my fingers got tangled in her light brown hair.
“Aw come on,” Madison continued to plead. “Elliot don’t you want Uncle Rily to read to us too?”
Elliot buried his face into Charlotte’s leg.
“Elliot go on and say hi to your Uncle,” Charlotte encouraged her son, putting her hand on his back nudging him in my direction.
The smile on my face faded. My eyes drifted to the floor knowing that my once happy go lucky nephew who was so young when I left. Everything changed, now my own family was afraid to look at me, treaded on broken glass when they talked to me. My sister was the only one who acted like nothing ever changed. I felt sick and angry wanting to go back into my dark apartment.
“It’s fine Charlotte,” I mumbled, my hand formed into a fist by my side.
“It’s not fine Rily, go on Elliot see Madison is fine,” she spoke gently.
Elliot didn’t even budge, my brother in law just picked Elliot up and brought him back up. My brother in law had personality of a wet rag. He managed to talk less to me since I’ve been home the past year.
“He’s four don’t-”
“I’m a beast I get it-” I cut her off my voice gruff.
“You aren’t a beast,” Madison responded she turned around so that she was facing me she place a hand on both sides of my face, even the deformed parts that was forever scarred. “You are nice.”
Madison then leaned in and kissed my cheek.
“Night Uncle Rily,” Madison smiled as she hopped off my lap.
“Night Madison sweet dreams,” I responded, she giggled as she went upstairs.
“See,” my sister smiled now poured the hot water into a mug. “Do you want some tea?”
“Sure,” I answered waiting for the lecture that was about to be served with the steaming water.
“See Madison is not afraid of you, you can stop shutting yourself from the world,” Charlotte started while I rolled my eyes. “You did good-“
“Your husband is a grown man and won’t even look at me,” I pointed out getting sick of this.
“Oh he’s just awkward around every person, it’s not because of the burn scars Rily.”
“Whatever,” I grumbled.
“Rily, you’re not Madison’s age, use your words,” Charlotte scolded her eyes narrowed.
“Yes mother,” I continued to grumble stirring the liquid mindlessly.
“Rily seriously, you did an amazing thing and receive honors for-“
“Yeah the honors are really helping me I can’t even walk out of my house without being gawked at. My own nephew won’t come near me!” I snapped, not able to hold back the fury in my voice.
Charlotte walked over to me brushing the hood off my head, the hair was scrunched off of my skin leaving red rippling skin. I cringed as she ran her fingers over the top of my head down to my chewed up ear. Her touch was so soft.
“Baby brother, you have heart of gold, you always have. I just wish you could remember that and see past the mirror yourself,” her voice was a tender lullaby she bent down and kissed the top of my head while laying strokes on my scalp.
“Easier said then done,” I said my voice calmer then before.
“Uncle Rily you said you’d read me a story!” Madison called from up the stairs.
“Your audience awaits,” Charlotte gave my back a little push.
I rolled my eyes and took sluggish steps towards the stairs to see Madison in her pajamas with a stuffed dog in her grasp.
“Come on, Uncle Rily you’re walking too slow,” Madison complained causing me to run up the stairs as she squeaked.
I scooped Madison up so that she was in a ball near my head, blowing a raspberry into her neck she giggled louder.
“Stop it!”
“Continue? Okay,” I tickled her stomach, her laughter filled the house as a door behind us cracked open to show a peeking Elliot.
“Rily I wanted them to sleep stop winding them up!” my sister ordered. “So help me when you have kids karma is going to get you in the butt!”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” I stuck my tongue out at Madison she grinned, Elliot shut the door.
I sat on Madison’s bed as she grabbed a picture book. She skirted under her sheets curling against my side. I started to read the book as her eyes slowly drifted to close and before the book was done Madison was asleep. Getting up slowly I tucked her in before walking out of her closing the door gently. My sister was standing there at the top of the stairs smirking, her arms crossed over her chest.
“You’re great with kids.”
I rolled my eyes.
“So?”
“You’re going to be a great daddy one day,” Charlotte continued.
“A girl would have to be able to stand to look at me to make that happen.”
“You would have to actually leave your house at normal house to start. I just want you to be happy Rily, you know that right?”
“I do, but I probably should get going,” I spoke she gave me a hug and I made my way out into the night.


My hands were deep into my sweatshirt, my hood covering my head fully. I had been prolonging getting the mail for as long as I could. The owner had been getting the mail for me, and dropping it off at my door, but he was gone on vacation this week. Resorting me to actually leave my apartment to get the mail, during the day thinking that people would be at work so that I would be more likely to be alone. Putting my key in, I opened my box. There were a couple of envelops, a few bills and my disability check from the military.
“Excuse me I need to open my box and you’re in front of it,” a young voice break my focus, out of reflect I glanced over to the sound to see a small girl with a backpack. “What’s wrong with your face?”
I tugged on my hood turning away from her. My stomach twisted as I wanted to strangle my sister for her words last night this was just evidence she was wrong. Taking a couple of steps away from the child I tried to walk out of the mail center.
“Hey wait where are you going, don’t you know it is rude to not answer someone!” she stated.
I could not get out of that room and back into my apartment fast enough.


Chapter Four
Eponine

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ottilie!

    I just wanted to stop by and say hi. Looks like you've been hard at work. Keep it up!

    R

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog and please do not be afraid to comment!