Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sample Sunday ~ Runaway

Hey Lovelies!
Today is sunday and tomorrow it's back to school!  Not a fan, so one last treat for the weekend, a sample of a story I thought up awhile ago and really can't wait to finish!  I would post another sample from one of my new ones, but I haven't really gotten a chance to work on them much and other then Beneath the Scars only one other has been worked on, but since it's a sequel I can't really post it as of the moment.  As we know Family Ties is a story of a kidnapping, however today's sample is the oppositte, running away from something!  These characters are a little fun, well the beginning wont show it as much, but the development is there.  The guy I have a few ideas in mind, and he's is going to be a little dorky, fun hearted so I'm really excited to work with him.  This story over the summer  Runaway was competeing against Project US and Beaker to Life, really wasn't sure which would be the forth work, after A Pirate's Life.  I wonder if anyone will notice the difference with this story then the samples I've given.  I hope you all enjoy the sample today!
~Ottilie

Runaway
Chapter One


Sitting on the bench with my eyes not focused on anything as the wind whipped by me. Old trails of tears stung as the nipped air picked on me to make the situation even worse. My surrounds didn’t come together with my homemade scarf blowing around as if waving goodbye to everyone and thing, when I could not. The yarn of the mittens made imprints on my hands as I held onto the bench beneath me trying to get any train of thought, god I was just a shell of a person these days.


My lips were numbing as the last of my chap stick was wearing away in the cold as it was set in a relax way when one isn’t thinking. My thin short eyelashes stuck together in small groups making the small amount of mascara and eyeliner run, smearing around my eyes for the illusion of black eyes. The short thick dark hair felt like straw under the hat making the small amount that poke out feel itchy. The cold irritating my nose making it run just a little leaving me not to even care anymore unlike I once would have. Mix of my surroundings and my existence, tears moisten my eyes, not that they were actually looking anywhere.


I couldn’t remember how I ended up here, or what has really been happening in my so called life. It was to the point that the chill that came through the fabrics of my winter coat was almost a disappointment that I was alive. My mother’s old coat worn and loose clung onto the big sweater underneath that overlapped over my jeans.


Nothing seemed to match up on the sides. My mind seemed to be a box of every size puzzle piece ever made. Leaving just the outside, the box, to be shown, but nothing on the inside will ever work. Not that I would care if I ever came back to who I was, it just didn’t matter anymore.


I shouldn’t be here, I shouldn’t be letting the self pity and hopes of dying consume me, but I do anyway. I couldn’t even tell you where I was, or who I was anymore. I had no specific plan, but I was just sitting here on a bench waiting. Cold droplets fell from above to just land harshly on me. Closing my eyes I curled up on my side feeling only part of the wood bench under me with heavy drops not shy of hitting me.


Seeping more into my thoughts even more as my clothes grew heavier with freezing cold rain mixed with snow numbing my body as the harsh wind picked up. My eyes hurt as I tried harder to keep the tears back while letting the numbing feeling take over me hoping this would be it.






The heat sunk into my skin to an almost burning sensation. Every muscle ached as it was cramped all over my body with my eyes feeling as if they were swollen shut. I tried to shift hoping that would help my tender muscles, but found I was too sore and immobile. Groaning, nudging my head against the pillow in some pathetic attempt to get my muscles to move or get the sleep out of my swollen eyes.


“Well, you’re alive,” the voice sounded slightly surprised, but gentle and deep.


I tried to speak before opening my eyes finding that I was unable to get any sound out. My vocal cords were thick with a rock stopping any sound from coming out. I wanted to ask, if they thought I was going to die, why didn’t they just take me to the hospital? Yet my mouth muscles felt as if they were clamed shut. I left my eyes shut, too sore to do anything as my body felt ill as the two extreme temperatures were battling each other.


“Take it easy okay, don’t overwork your body. You’ve really put your body through a lot. Do you know how long you were at the bus station?”


I wanted to die as the needles of heat were working through.


“No,” my voice cracked.


“Shh, don’t speak. Do you want tea, just nod your head yes or no,” the soft male voice continued.


I shook my head under the cocoon of blankets and sheets.


“Hot chocolate maybe?”


Slowly I opened my eyes as the light burned, making it harder to keep them open.


“I guess,” My voice cracking as I tried to speak again.


The guy was a blur, but I could hear him sigh.


A few minutes later the spot next to me sunk on the bed. Turning over in pain I look up at a lean man with strawberry blonde hair that swept to the side with blue green eyes. Wearing a sweater and jeans he held a red mug down to my level. Shifting so my arm could push me up, I cringed.


“Try not to harm yourself, just stay down!”


I closed my eyes as I leaned my head against the headboard.


“You’re a stubborn one aren’t you?”


“Just a bit.”


He gave a short laugh as I opened my eyes and took the drink, wrapping my hands around the cup feeling the heat seep through. I started to debate about not drinking it and just to holding it.


“I’m going to be leaving soon, but my brother will be here to be with you. I left him in charge of the diner. I trust him with it, but I’d rather be there, especially since closing time is in a few hours and I’m OCD about that. He should be here soon,” he glanced down at his watch.


“Thank you,” I whispered.


“You’re welcome, but it wasn’t really anything, there wasn’t a chance in hell anyone with a heart could have left someone covered in ice in this weather.”


I looked down into the drink.


“My name is Adam, and the late one is Lucas.”


I took a sip from the drink instead of answering.


“Do you have a name?”


“Yes,” I whispered.


“Care to give it to me?” he asked gently, like he actually cared about what happens to me.


I looked up into his eyes showing true sincerity. It was almost as if he has known me my whole life and he was just my caring big brother. I sighed.


“My name is-“


“Oh, OCD King, I’m home!” a loud voice rang as a door was slam shut.


Adam rolled his eyes.


“You must excuse my brother. He’s a bit of an idiot.”


“Depends on who you’re asking?”


A guy with a big grin on his face, same color hair, but a little shorter to show off the green smiling eyes came into the room.


“It’s a good thing she wasn’t sleeping big mouth, now I’ll go back. You put James in charge right before you came here, right?”


Lucas’ face fell, eyes widen.


“Crap! I knew I forgot something!”


“What do you mean!? I had asked you to do something simple!” Adam yelled standing up sounding ready to have a heart attack.


“Chill, man I was kidding,” Lucas started to laugh as he tried to get the words out. “Go on, I’ll keep an eye on her.”


Adam looked a little worried as he said his goodbye’s then left.


“I don’t need a babysitter, I’m going to turn eighteen next month,” I whispered feeling the hot chocolate loosing its heat.


He gave a small laugh.


“Yeah, you take real good care of yourself. You were unconscious on a bus stop bench, covered in ice and freezing rain. Yeah, real good care.”


I glared.


“I have everything planned out just so you know,” I mumbled even though I knew he wouldn’t believe me. “One mistake and I bet you are Mr. Perfect?”


“I’m the essence of perfection I’ll let you know,” he added with a smirk, which just fueled the glaring. “So are you hungry?”


“No,” I answered, as my stomach countered my reply, I closed my eyes. “I guess I am.”


“I’ll go make us something. How do you feel about breakfast food in the late afternoon?”


“It’s as good as eating it in the morning,” I commented taking a sip of the hot chocolate making a face as the cool drink entered my mouth, spitting it back into the cup as he left the room.


Looking around the room, I could defiantly tell this was one of their rooms. There were a few pictures on the dresser and desk, clothes on the floor along with on the chair. The walls though were plain white with a few posters. The comforter was dark blue on top with crimson underneath.


“Are chocolate chip pancakes okay?” He yelled from the other room. “I’m kind of in the mood for them considering the weather.”


“Yeah, that’s fine.”


Pushing the comforter off, I stood up with shaky legs, wrapping the comforter around me. Stumbling a bit, I fell into the wall.


“Are you alright in there,” He called out.


“Yeah,” I answered after taking a few more wobbly steps.


Looking up I saw the partial kitchen with a wall dividing the living room and kitchen. There he stood in front of the stove pouring some of the batter onto the pan. Unsteadily I sat on a stool chair using the hole in the wall between the two rooms making it the place they ate. Drawing my legs into my chest wrapping the comforter closer trying to keep warm I just made fitting on the chair.


“What do you want to drink?” Lucas called loudly looking towards one of the bed rooms.


“Milk will do fine,” I answered, watching him jump a little to turn to look at me.


“When did you get there?” he asked narrowing his eyes.


“Just a moment ago.”


“Shouldn’t you drink something warm?”


“I don’t like pancakes with anything other then milk, and if you were going to question my option why did you ask me?” I asked trying not to sound rude.


“Point made,” he said as he turned around again towards the stove.


“So girly, do you have a name?” he asked with his back still turned.


I didn’t answer for a moment. He was placing two glasses of milk on the counter between us. Turning off the oven he walked to sit next to me with two plates. Looking at the food I took hold of the fork while holding onto the warmth. My stomach begged to just pour the plate of food down my throat, while my mind knew that I would get sick if I did that. To be nice to my stomach I was trying to take slower bites of the warm fluffy treat as small bits of chocolate came to life in my mouth. I tried to remember the last time I had any form of a meal.


“How are you feeling?” he asked softly.


Still looking at the plate I just muttered that I was alright.


“So are you running from the law?” he asked his voice slightly more upbeat again.


Looking up he had one eyebrow raised with a small smile.


“The law, no.”


I stared at the food poking a piece of the cut up slice. I put the piece in my mouth and tried to chew. My mouth was dry. I tried to chew, but it wouldn’t happen so I took a gulp of the milk to help the food go down. The lump went down heavily, as my eyes began to water. I didn’t look up; I couldn’t let him see the tears, to let him know something was wrong.


“Are you alright?” the pure curiosity voice came through, but I couldn’t look up though.


I nodded my head.


“You sure?”


“Can I take a shower when I’m done?” I asked still looking down.


I took a bite, acting like everything was normal. It tasted like sawdust now. I put my fork down and just swallowed heavily that last bite.


“Um sure, I’ll give you something to put on afterwards. I’ll give you some clean clothes, though they’ll be big on you.”


“Thank you,” I spoke softly as I slowly stood up. “Which way to the bathroom?”


I started to pick up the plate and cup to bring to the sink, but he took them.


“Over to your right, but hold on.”


He had his back to me as I quickly rubbed my eyes. Hoping the tears were gone, wiped away. I walked over to the bathroom and stood by the door with the comforter still wrapped tightly around me up to my chin enclosed around me. My hands only out in the open just enough to hold the blanket to me. My eyes were glued to the floor, though a warm touch brought me back as it glided me into green eyes.


“Your eyes are red,” his eyes were sad or worried as the words came out slowly, almost as if it were a question.


“They are a little off from the change of weather,” I spoke starting to bite on my lip.


He just stared at me, his eyes were locked on mine, holding them, making me not want to look away.


“If you are sure,” he answered placing clothes into my hands. “Can I have the blanket back before you go into the shower though?”


I unhinged my fingers from the comfort and walked into the bathroom, automatically locking the door behind me. Laying the pile of clothes on top of the toilet and noticed the towel hanging up by the shower. Turning the facet the mere sound of the sudden water being released from its prison was music to my ears. The pop of the water till it hit the floor till it was a full power of its freedom. I didn’t bother putting my hand in it knowing it would be cold, and I couldn’t deal with that. I would wait for the warmth.


Stepping into the misty hot water, a sigh almost escaped my lips. It has been so long since my last shower, or felt hot water. I submerged my whole body under the head of the shower, feeling the hot water, washing away the pain and horrors. Helping even for a moment to forget the tears that have been shed for what feels forever. Even for a short period of time I could forget, put everything behind me.


Wrapping the fluffy towel I did not want to leave the steamy haven the bathroom had became. The mirror was fogged over, which might have been for the best to not have a chance to see the affects of living on the streets did to me. Using a comb I tried my best to get out knots, tearing at my head to the point where using tweezers to pull each hair out of my legs would have felt better. Finding a pair of scissors and a razor entered my mind to solve my problem. My better reasoning won with a few more attacks, then throwing on the borrowed clothes, just so I could pull the towel turban effect.


Even though it was guys’ clothes, I felt small in the shirt and pants that had a belt on them. Before I walked out of the bathroom I hung the towel up and re-brushed my hair to find Lucas sitting on the couch watching television. Shuffling over to the couch near him I saw he left the comforter there for me. Grabbing it I wrapped it around me as he sat there looking at me.


“Still cold?” he asked.


I just nodded my head, my throat felt a little raw. He moved a little closer to me took hold of the blanket to move it, well tried, but I was holding tight.


“Lossen your grip, I’ll help you warm you up.”


I narrowed my eyes at him.


“I really don’t know you.”


He rolled his eyes.


“We aren’t doing anything, just think of it as a hug while watching TV. You’ve already slept in my bed and are wearing my clothes I think we’re on a speedy friendship.”


I let go of the blanket as he pulled me close to him and wrapped his arms around me than putting the blanket around us. His chest was against my back with his head right near mine, I felt so fragile near him, I was once bigger.


“I promise we’re not out to get you…” he whispered as he tightened his hold a little.


“I’ve just been through a lot…” I spoke quietly as I just kept my eyes on the screen.


My eyes grew heavy as he didn’t answer back. Slowly as I fought it my eyes closed as his heat radiated into me. I fell asleep against him as there was silence between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog and please do not be afraid to comment!